Gingham shirts have become increasingly popular in recent years, and for good reason. They are a versatile and stylish option for any man’s wardrobe. In this article, we will discuss what a gingham shirt is, its history, and some tips on how to wear it from La Mode Men’s.
What is a Gingham Shirt?
In this article, we will focus on gingham shirts for men, although you can use gingham fabric for a variety of items including shirts, dresses, and tablecloths.
The 17th-century origins of gingham trace back to Southeast Asia where it originated as a striped fabric. Europe saw the emergence of the checkered pattern we know today in the mid-18th century. We believe the name “gingham” comes from the Malay word “genggang,” which means striped.
During the mid-19th century, Gingham became popular in the United States, and people often used it for women’s dresses and aprons. It wasn’t until the 20th century that gingham shirts for men became popular. Today, gingham shirts are a staple in many men’s wardrobes, and they come in a variety of colors and patterns.
How to Wear a Gingham Shirt
Now that we’ve covered what a gingham shirt is and its history, let’s talk about how to wear it.
- Keep it Simple: Gingham shirts can be worn with a variety of outfits, but it’s important to keep the rest of your outfit simple. A gingham shirt is a statement piece, so avoid bold patterns or colors that will clash with it. Stick to neutral colors like grey, navy, or khaki for your pants and avoid wearing a tie with a pattern that competes with the shirt.
- Choose the Right Fit: Like any shirt, the fit is important. A well-fitted gingham shirt will look stylish and polished. If you’re looking for a casual look, a looser fit can work, but for a more formal look, choose a shirt that fits closer to the body.
- Play with Colors: Gingham shirts come in a variety of colors, so don’t be afraid to experiment with different combinations. A blue and white gingham shirt is a classic option, but you can also try red and white, black and white, or green and white.
- Dress it Up or Down: Gingham shirts can be dressed up or down, depending on the occasion. For a more casual look, wear it untucked with jeans or chinos. For a more formal look, tuck it into dress pants and add a blazer.
- Accessorize Wisely: Gingham shirts can be accessorized with a variety of items. Brown leather shoes and a belt match most colors; a navy blazer adds sophistication. Avoid wearing a patterned tie or pocket square that competes with the shirt.
In conclusion, a gingham shirt is a versatile and stylish option for any man’s wardrobe. It’s a classic pattern that has been around for centuries and continues to be popular today. Pair a gingham shirt with a simple outfit, the right fit, color play, and wise accessories. By following these tips, you’ll be able to rock a gingham shirt with confidence and style.